Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Weaning baby - the first feed

When it comes to weaning baby onto solid food there are some controversies about when to start and what to give. I would like to share with you the technique that I have used over the years and so far all the children that I have weaned have fantastic appetites and will eat anything as they grow older. This makes it easy for the parents when they want to eat out and there is no fear that the child will not have a balanced diet.

A few pointers to remember:

• Do not start until the baby has completed 4 months of age.
• Do not force the baby to eat if he is not ready.
• The amount given does not replace the milk feed.

I like to start after 4 months instead of 6 months because eating something thicker in consistency and drinking milk requires 2 different actions. I find that the baby learns to coordinate taking food into the mouth, moving it to the back of the mouth and then swallowing it faster than if left to 6 months. Always start with 1 teaspoon baby rice powder mixed with water and stirred to a very fine slightly watery paste.


Wei Jun has completed his 4 months so we will try and see if he likes it.






Aunty Cecilia says that I am eating baby rice today. I wonder what it is all about.






Maybe I don’t have to eat it if I pretend to sleep.









Maybe if I look away?








Oops, guess I better open my mouth cos I can see Aunty Cecilia’s stern face looking at me.







Ok, it’s in my mouth, so what do I do with it?








Oh Aunty Cecilia says to swallow it, but how do I do that?








Ugh oh, it is all dribbling out and she is scooping it back in.








I think I have got it and it is not so bad after all.








Hey!! I am really enjoying this stuff.








Waaah! I want some more.





The video below shows you how to mix the baby rice powder.

No comments: